From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:24:26 -0400
At 07:29 AM 7/9/1999 -0700, Brian Coe:

>John if you use the OemInstall procedure do the base install then ghost the
>image and put it down on the systems as soon as the user turns on the
>machine they will be prompted for the license info. . . .
>

>>. . .installing Windows 95b OEM on refurbished IBM 750 P-90 Desktops. . .

Brian:

I am using Win95b OEM but without the Install Diskette (we just have the
licenses). These PCs have no CDROMs and won't need CDROMs. Here's what we
are doing:

  1. Boot up a Win95b startup disk with drive utilities
  2. Write zeros to the IBM's 520 MB hard drive
  3. FDISK, and create a FAT-16 511 MB primary DOS partition and ignore the
other 9MB
  4. FORMAT C: /s
  5. Power off, install a hard drive with the cab files
  6. Reboot, add the drive in CMOS
  7. Reboot to C: then XCOPY D:\Win95\*.* to C:\Win95
  8. Change to C:\Win95 and run setup.

We have done 20 PCs in this fashion.

So, you advise that if we perform an OEM Install procedure using a Setup
floppy, then ghost the installation, we be prompted for user name and
license number on each new installation from a ghosted image?  Sounds good
to me.

Another question....  Troubleshooter won't low level format these WDC
drives (made explicitly for IBM, per labeling) as installed in the IBM. Is
there another way of LLFing the drive without removing the drive and
installing in another computer? The WDC pseudo-LLF only writes zeros to
sectors.

Also (anyone), please advise whether there is a hidden setup partition (a
la Compaq) on these IBM Model 750 P-90s.

Thanks for your help.

John Chin

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html