From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 15:54:45 -0700
The following was posted in HIT (High Intensity
Training) Digest in response to a thread regading raw
eggs. I thought you might find it of interest:

Quote- "I stand corrected! And to think I have eaten
raw egg whites in my shakes every day now for 3 years!
This is an excerpt from the CDC's website:

[Various Salmonella species have long been isolated
from the outside of egg shells. The present situation
with S. Various Salmonella species have long been
isolated from the outside of egg shells. The present
situation with S. enteritidis is complicated by the
presence of the organism inside the egg, in the yolk.
This and other information strongly suggest vertical
transmission, i.e., deposition of the organism in  the
yolk by an infected layer hen prior to shell
deposition. Foods other than eggs have also caused
outbreaks of S. enteritidis disease.]

It wont be easy to give them up. The article did state
that the bacteria usually does not infect healthy
individuals. But who knows for sure that they are
healthy?" - End quote

I find the last statement interesting. If the bacteria
does not usually infect healthy individuals, then that
would explain why so many of you have reported no ill
effects from eating raw eggs - beacuse you're healthy!
I have never had any problems with raw eggs myself,
but then I've never eaten enough of them to have any
kind of statistically significant result.