From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:43:03 +0200
Kathleen wrote:

>... ketosis... after 3-4 days with deep cracks at the sides of mouth
>and leg cramps (I'm a very rare variant of AB neg).

If you have cracks at the mouth sides than your body has such a
severe vitamin lack that it isn't even able to maintain the
integrity of your skin, your outside boundary!
Protein alone isn't enough for growth and maintenance.
Heavy vitamin supplements are are option to come out of the first
severe lack.  Living (possibly liquid) brewers yeast is a very good
option for a limited time.
(brewers yeast, because it isnt reproducing so quick like
bakers yeast, and therefore contains less cell kernel material
- purins- which can induce allergies)

Ketosis: if your body doesn't get any carbs, it'll produce ketone
bodies (can be smelled) and will start to convert protein to carbs.
The ratio is about 2 lbs meat for the 180g of carbs *used* per day.
(Probably in ketosis the brain nutrition is also at a reduced
carb consumation which may reduce the minimum carbs some percents)
Are you shure you eat 1kg meat per day?
Otherwise you should be loosing your own
meat (not fat) in this amount.

Btw. an important vitamin for protein synthesis
(the cracks) is vitamin b6 -
especially for women, especially in hormonal birth control.
Your symptoms seem to cry for b6...
Look out for sunflower, bananas, sesame......

>My skin also got very dry
>until I added olive oil to my regimen.
Not producing oil on the skin is an obvious energy conserving
means of the body (oil is energy costly).
I think, this is not changed easily, so adding oil to the skin
should be right.

>... I think that I might actually do better on
>a diet with some yogurt, some beans and grains, and much less meat

>and meat fat.
Yogurt may enhace your stomach symbionts (bacteria) and is a
way to stay away from raw milk - which is makes allergies on many.

If you tend to include some grains (heresy or not) then you'll
trade in an optimum supply with most vitamins and minerals for a
possibly allergenic potential.
Care has to be taken.
I'd recommend to strictly stay away from of *wheat*,  because
(today's) wheat is a rather recently "developed" plant.
What was the usual in Egypt and Rome is completely different
and wheat therefore is what has the
lowest adaption times and highest allergy risk.

There are nice wheat alternatives, for ex:
Quinoa, buckwheat, rice, millet, at last rye and ancient spelt.
(the last 2 or 3 not, if you have a gluten allergy).
Perfect are sunflowers and walnuts.
Anyway, avoiding wheat 100%  will keep you away from most modern
foods - junk foods in my POV.

regards, Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net