From:
Midas Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:54:08 -0400
alexs wrote:

> Jews have their dietary laws prohibiting even the presence of foods
> like pork in their homes, still less their preparation or
> consumption. It's not much different here, except in this case the
> "gentiles" are the gluten-unaware.

Well, as a strictly kosher-observant Jew, I hope you don't mind if I
de-lurk again and jump in here...

There's *technically* no problem with bringing non-kosher food into a
kosher home, as long as care is taken to keep it separate from the
kosher food, dishes and utensils.  So, for example, if a non-Jewish
friend were to come to visit, packing a sack lunch with a ham
sandwich, I would have no problem having my friend consume said
sandwich in my home (though I would certainly offer some of my own
food) - as long as my friend uses his/her own utensils (or
disposables) and not mine.  Judaism does not prohibit non-kosher food
for non-Jews.

On the other hand, if my friend with the ham sandwich is a
(non-observant) Jew, I *would* feel uncomfortable with his/her eating
it in my home, especially in the presence of my children (whom I'm
trying to raise as observant Jews).  Since it's *my* home, I don't
think I'd be overreacting by trying to lovingly and diplomatically
persuade this friend to eat some of my own food instead, at least
while being a guest in my home.

--
Deanna