From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:29:54 +0200
S.B. Feldman wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/millennium/m1/eco.html
> the Bean Saved Civilization
> IS AN INTERSTING SHORT ARTICLE ABOUT THE LAST THOUSAND YEARS

Thanks for the nicely written article and the nyt reference.

Reading it, I'd like to correct a little mistake I found:

citing:
>... So when, in the 10th century, the cultivation of legumes
>began to spread, it had a profound effect on Europe. Working people

>were able to eat
>more protein; ...
Cultivation of legumes (namely lentils and peas) begun in the very
advent of cultivations, which is about 4200BC for central europe.
(5000 years earlier in central europe).

This had a double effect on the stone age community.
1. All legumes in fact fertilize the soil with nitrogen by symbionts
they have living in their roots. This is an ideal combination with
cereals, which extract that nitrogen.
This gives nearly unlimited fertility to the fields, when switching
between the both.
2.Legume protein and cereal protein together make up an very
good protein, because legumes supply "per accident" exactely
the amino acid that is low in cereals.
The resulting protein (combinated about 1/3 to 2/3) is even
better than meat (111%), so less is needed.

IMO as a consequence, all the old-overcome staples and national
dishes consist of a cereal and a legume
(in italy:lentils in spain:chickpeas india:both americas:beans).

Btw. the middle age favourite cereal is millet, what the
famous millet-mush ("Hirsebrei") is made of.

regards

Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net