From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:05:36 +0200
Ken Stuart wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The reference to refined foods reminded me of a question.

>Are refined foods that are composed off all-paleo ingredients

>unhealthy?
>
>If so, why?  If the ingredients are all-paleo,
> then it would seem that the
>foreign protein argument does not apply, so what does apply?
>
>For example, one can make a refined sugar out of fruit...

Hello,

I think I've got an answer to this one.
Avoiding "foreign protein" and allergies isn't all
what paleo-style is all about.
Actually all proteins not from each ones *own* body are foreign
and attacked by our imune system, as the examples of organ
transplantations show.

But refined sugar out of fruit is pure carbohydrate, devoid of
the accompanying stuffs, needed for digestion and usage.
Namely for digestion: fiber and for usage: in the case of
carbohydrate: thiamin or vitamin b1
(and probably some others we don't know).

I think it's a good idea to leave food items as they are, or as
they were found or consumed in paleo-times.
This applies also to genetic alterations of the fruit, also
with the goal to cultivate sweeter and sweeter varieties,
possibly without increasing the vitamins that used to come
with the wild variety.

For example of vitamin b1
I read, that in the example of potatoes, if one is throwing away
the cooking water (loss 50% of vitamin b1),
the potatoe does contain *less* b1 as is needed
just to metabolize the carbs inside the potatoe.
That means that the ratio of 5 mg thiamin per 1000g carbohydrate
is adequate and 2.5mg is too less.

I compiled a list of food items,
and their ratio of vitamin b1 that comes with the carbohydrate.
Walnuts rave a ratio of 20 and doughnuts 0.zero
may the sugar come from paleofruit or turnips.

Btw, if you eat as much meat as you told (2-3 lbs) and your
glucose comes from the protein in the meat, than suddenly
you see that in this way the meat contains enough b1.
2.5 lbs (1200g) of beef have 1.3 mg b1. If your body makes the
180g minimum glucose out of it , you get a ratio of 7.2
per kilo carbohydrate.
Just one sweet cake would deteriorate this ratio without
ever considering the (very small) proteins inside the cake.

regards

Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net