From:
Holly Krahe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:09:20 EDT
Ray -

You mention you are a former animal ambulance driver (I am a current one) -
did you discontinue this due to any logic or a revelation of its futility?
Sometimes I do feel like I am pissing in the wind, so to speak, trying to
save a few when there is no safe place for them to return to natural lives.

You also mention the pain of death by predators vs. food-use by man.  While
both of these deaths must involve some pain and distress, the feline
predators I have studied seem to make quick use of a fatal bite to the neck
or base of the skull, which seems fairly 'humane' under the circumstances.

At one time there was quite a bit of vegetarian propaganda about eating
animals because they were full of chemicals associated with fight-or-flight
reactions brought on during their killing.  Has anyone ever seen a study or
discussion that could shed light on whether these biochemicals could be
harmful when consumed in large quantities?

Holly

Ray Audette wrote:

<< and die a much less painful death (see any
 documentary film on predators).
 Former animal ambulance driver and licenced Falconer