From:
Snowlight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 06:44:18 -0700
----------
| From: James Crocker
| Please don't miss my point, which is simple.  If an individual wants to
| lose weight, they a) need to consume the best diet they can
| nutritionally, and b)reduce caloric intake until they stabilize at their
| desired weight.  I just don't understand the overweight people who can't
| accept this.  I also completely understand that the same foods and
| calorie levels may cause one person to be trim and fit, and another to be
| much heavier.  I did not invent the universe, this is just the way human
| physiology is.  I am merely making some observations.
=======================

This is where SAD comes in.  How many obese individuals know what a
healthier diet is?  The typical American is given the food pyramid as a
guide by nutritionists and doctors.  Many individuals DO struggle to find
that diet that will normalize their weight, health and fall flat by the
media, conflicting reports of the most recent research and the most
disturbing of all "low fat diet food products".  I believe these artificial
products along with low fat mentality induces a starvation mode in these
individuals which then causes overeating of comfort foods.  It's a horrible
cycle that is very difficult to break especially in mainstream
consciousness.

My only concern was that we must (myself included) remain aware that even
if we have relentlessly pursued and examined healthful eating, we cannot
expect everyone to know or accept this information.  It is NOT a matter of
"just doing it" for the obese, it is in better knowledge and information.
It is so safe to make "observations" and batting theories around (and you
do have some excellent ones) in a like-minded group....maybe it is time to
start sharing this wealth of knowledge to individuals who are being led to
believe Snackwells are helping them to lose weight?  I apologize for
seeming to be so touchy about this subject, but Americans are becoming more
obese and it is because of SAD.  It is a shame when those who are grasping
better health through a diet such as advocated and explored here are making
statements that reflect, "eat less and lose".  I realize too, that your
post went on to explore other concepts, but this was important for me to
speak up on.  Enough said, just MHO.
Snowlight
239.5/236.5/140
LC since 9/13/98