From:
"C. Loon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:59:16 -0400
Do you folks eat smoked fish??

I was surfin' the net for info on Omega 3 fats and fish, when I stumbled on
the website www.womensedge.com/cooking/news/more/970717.news.html .
There, they recommend eating salmon & other fatty fish for their high omega
3 content, but specify "not smoked fish" and "not lox". Being a fan of
smoked fish (seems paleo to me), I emailed the authors of The Omega Plan
and asked their opinion on whether smoking fish might destroy Omega 3 fats
in fish, or something. Jo Robinson emailed me back to say that smoking does
not destroy omega 3 fatty acids in salmon, but may add some carcinogens.
Therefore smoked fish should be consumed 1x per week, max, in her opinion.

Up in Cree territory, smoking fish (e.g. lake sturgeon) is really common,
because it preserves it. I wonder - is smoked fish considered raw or
uncooked?

Cheyenne