From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 02:06:00 -0400
Caryl wrote:
>Some of you on this list are so very learned.  I am at a much simpler level
so
>far.  Dark meat in fowl I understand; I know pork is known as "white meat"
>sometimes; what other meats can be dark?

To be honest, some of us are forwarding material which is at the limits of
our comprehension, if not beyond it.  Or perhaps it's just me. ;-)

Examples of dark meat include: red meat of any kind, shellfish, herring,
dark tuna (which may be labelled as "light tuna" -- very confusing),
sardines, and fowl (thigh and drumstick, but not the breast).  Organ meats,
such as liver and heart, have a much higher purine content.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland

P.S.: I apologize for having screwed up the URLs by appending a colon.  Here
they are again:
        http://www.auhs.edu/netbiochem/pupyr/pp.htm
        http://www.auhs.edu/netbiochem/pupyr/another.htm