From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:49:33 -0500
On 08/07/98 13:16:40 you wrote:

>Like Mann, I'm betting that there's a lot more to it.  We know
>that certain saturated fats increase insulin resistance and
>hyperinulinism, and we know that they can also elevate LDL
>cholesterol.
>Whether Neanderthin adequately addresses the other issues remains
>to be seen.  Whether some non-paleo *whole* foods might do as
>good a job or better is an open question, as far as I'm
>concerned.
>
>Todd Moody

Thanks for your great posts.  Since I started lurking on this list several months ago I find
myself agreeing with every point you make.  Keep up the good research you must be doing.

Regarding the saturated fats and refined carbs, there is little doubt that a high fatty diet
contributes considerably to heart disease.  But this data is probably taken in the context of a
populace that consumes plenty of refined carbs, like bread, sugar, etc.  The combined high GI
foods with the elevated cholesterol and unfavorable blood lipid profiles certainly seem to be
linked, and seem to work together to promote heart disease.

What do people think of this (very blunt) point.  If you eat a high red meat diet, but little or
no refined carbs, you should be okay cardiovascularly.  If you are basically a total vegetarian,
consuming little or no saturated fats and cholesterol, you should also be okay in the same
regard.  But if you eat alot of red meats, plus alot of highly refined carbs, you are in the
greatest risk group of all.  Does this make sense?  It would help explain how two seemingly
different diets (vegan and Neanderthin-heavy-on-red-meats) both seem to promote increased
degrees of health.

James

Space travel is utter bilge.
    -Woolley, Richard (U.K. Astronomer Royal)
     (In 1956, the year before Sputnik)