NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Bienkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:22:43 EDT
In a message dated 4/2/00 10:44:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I've known he's allergic to milk protiens since he was an infant.
 Numerous RAST blood tests (almost yearly) showed no milk allergy.  After a
 milk challenge last month, the allergen test came back positive - finally
 confirming what I've known all along. >>

Hi Kelly,
I know my 3 year old is allergic to milk. We are going for testing this week.
I am really hoping it turns up on the test so people won't think I'm crazy.
She has been off of milk for 3 months now. Do you know if this would affect
the RAST test results? Every time recently she has accidently had dairy in a
food or most recently calcium fortified orange juice she has gotten hives.
Her signs so far of a milk allergy have been colic as a baby, spitting up and
drooling a lot as a baby, eczema that went away after removing dairy, zoning
out after drinking milk and having problems recalling words. She has also
been a much happier, social child since I removed the milk(which she used to
drink in huge amounts along with eating a lot of cheese). In fact last fall
everyone was worried she was autistic, but since taking her off of milk she
has improved so much 2 doctors have told me she is not:) I guess no matter
what the test results I know she has an allergy, but it would be nice to have
proof.

Have you tried rice milk or dairy free? Dairy free is a potato milk that you
can find at Miss Robens web site. It tastes good & is the best I've found for
cooking with so far. It comes in a powder form that you mix. I woulds be
skeptical of goats milk since I am pretty sure that contains casein which can
cause problems.
Good Luck.
Lisa B.