NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:46:50 -0500
Friends,
I promised that I would let you know about the
content of the new books for kids from the Food
Allergy Network.  We received our order yesterday
and read the books right away.  I am happy to say
that it was money well spent.

Both of my children (5 & 8) enjoyed the stories
and it prompted some discussion about the upcoming
school year.  My milk allergic child is going to
kindergarten and we plan to take these books to
share with her class during the first week.  The
older child is not allergic to anything, but was
interested in hearing the story.

As a parent, I have to say that the content was
very good.  One book has characters allergic to
peanuts, fish and milk.  I have to say the least
amount of emphasis is spent on the lion allergic
to milk.  In both books we purchased a person (or
animal) has a reaction takes Benadryl and takes an
Epi-Pen dose.  The doctor or vet takes a look at
the patient who recovers quickly.  In the book
about Alex, the elephant, an emphasis is placed on
not trading food, etc.; feelings and teasing.  I
(Journalism and English teacher/harsh critic)
would not brag about the artwork in the book or
design.  No matter what you think about the
drawings, (and they were okay by the kids) the
content is fabulous!

I have searched everywhere for a book with a milk
allergic person with no results except these from
FAN.  I would recommend the books ($5), coloring
book ($3; class set available too) and  video ($12
or $15) to everyone with allergic children.

Deborah