NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:36:24 -0200
HI,
Cocoa is the powder derived from the cocoa bean and may or may not be
further processed with alkali to change the pH (acidity).  In itself, it is
dairy-free by nature.  Chocolate is the further processing of cocoa and may
or may not contain sugar, dairy, depending on the type and manufacturer.  It
may also be cross-contaminated with nuts or dairy by processing in the same
plant.

For example, Guittard chocolate semi-sweet chips are gluten-free,
dairy-free, and free of any risk of cross contamination with dairy or nuts
because they are made in a different plant.  However, there other
chocolates, like milk chocolate, that MAY or may not be dairy-free-you need
to call and check with each manufacturer.

FYI- There is a Chocolate Emporium that sells kosher (paerve) chocolates and
you can find them on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Jay