NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:29:16 EDT
Play it safe and insist on having an Epi-pen on-hand.  My son went into
anaphylaxis from exposure to ragweed last year.  Had it not been for his being
given an Epi-pen which we had in the Nurse's Office at school (for a milk
allergy) I shudder to think what could have happened.

From what I have been told, anaphylaxis is a term which describes involvement
of two or more body systems--e.g, skin (hives), respiratory (swelling in
throat or wheezing), gastrointestinal (abdominal pain, vomiting/diarrhea) etc.
Anaphylaxis can be either minor or severe.

I checked with my son's allergist and was told that indeed, exposure to
environmental allergens can cause anaphylaxis.  Also, if your system was on
"allergy overload", you might have had a more severe reaction to the mold
exposure than you otherwise would any other time.   For instance, if you were
already having allergy symptoms from other stuff (ragweed, etc.) then when you
went into your basement, the exposure to mold, which ordinarily wouldn't be a
problem for you, could have put you "over the edge" into an anaphylaxis
situation.

Lynda