NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:52:27 -0400
Very scary. In the NorthEast, the airbourne molds are *very* high, so your
exposure to molds (at least around here) is also very high, even if you
don't ingest it. We're getting *bathed* in molds right now, no to mention
ragweed.

Add to that the recent rains and temperature changes, which can have the
effect of causing more mold to grow in your basement, even if it's not
leaking. And if you have a leaky roof or basement, the molds can just go
nuts.

If your room is underground (e.g., in the basement), *move*. No matter how
dry, there is likely moisture coming in through the walls and/or floor.
That's no place for a person with mold allergies to live.

I suggest that you do your best to rid at least your home of mold. If you
sleep with the windows open and the mold level outdoors is high, consider
closing up the windows and using A/C and/or HEP vents. Ventilate and/or
dehumidify your basement.

But first and foremost, go to an allergist and see about getting on a
'round-the-clock antihistamine, at least until the exposure is under
control.

>I am hoping someone can help me understand what is happening to me.  I have an
>allergy to mold and usually I just get itchy eyes, sneezing and a sinus
>headache.  My bedroom is in the basement, and smells strongly of mold.  I
>spent the day cleaning down there and felt bad with tightness in my chest.
>That night when I went to bed my throat started to hurt and I had trouble
>swallowing.  I went upstairs and found my neck to be swollen and breathing was
>becoming difficult.  I took an antihistamine and it enabled me to breathe
>easily again.
>In the past, I have only had this reaction to ingesting mold, ie bleu cheese.
>Is this considered anaphalaxis?  I have not gone back downstairs to my bedroom
>since and have had to take antihistamines several times a day or my chest
>starts to tighten.
>I am going to give up dairy; dh and children have a dairy allergy.
>I am scared.  Do I now have to live in fear of my windpipe closing up and
>dying when exposed to mold?  And how do I get rid of the mold in my house?
>Any comments would be appreciated.  TIA.
>Kim

Mark Feblowitz