CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeff Shaddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:14:36 -0600
As usual Tony, you have gone too far and made blanket statements which go
beyond the truth, and come close to lying. With respect to "the Democratic
Party (being) complicit TOTALLY, in turning over the White House to Bush and
Gang" The Clinton White House refused to hand over the key to the transition
office to the Republicans until AG finally conceeded (there were quite a few
laughs about that where I am). So they were far from conplicit in handing
things over.

I often don't buy the talk about people not voting because they are turned
off by "phony electoral baloney". Of course there are people who feel this
way, and I would not argue that they are a significant number, but you would
have a hard time convincing me that almost 60% of Americans are turned off.
I think that many are simply too caught up in football, seinfield, and the
miss america pagent to even care there's an election going on.

I go far from blaming non-voters and those who voted improperly for the LOSS
of the election (ie AG not winning), but I do 'blame' them for giving the
GOP the oppertunity to 'steal the election'

J.

PS paraphrasing NC "people are often turned off of participating in
communities such as message boards etc by a few individuals who dominate the
arena and prevent others from meaningfully partiipating in the forum" I can
think of at least two in this forum who fall into that category...