CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Shyamal Gupta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:16:35 +0530
At 19:54 12/04/1999 , you wrote:
 >Yes , you are right up to the point.
 >But , please, there is no hatered towards "America", as some fictive
 >entitity, I am making a rather big difference between Goverments ( and a
 >notion of Power) and militarism as something that is imanent to State as
 >such, and ordinary people.

Sorry for the late response -- was away for a while.

Thanks for this important distinction. Counter-hatred makes no sense.

Anger does, however (to me at least). But I couldn't figure out how I
communicated hatred towards people in my post. Anger, yes, but I don't see
myself holding hatred.

Your point is well taken.

My post was principally a rejoinder to the kind of argument that was being
propagated by some on the list -- the (implicit) argument that the US
government is unjustly being used as a favourite whipping boy to cover up
for the ills and failures of others.

Re : your friends comments, I must also say that having realised how easy
it is to be mistaken in scientific research (with closed-ness of the mind),
and, indeed, how easy it is to point towards incorrect conclusions in
empirical work, I'd still like to stick by my understanding of the origins
of the AIDS virus.

Once again, I'm not propagating hate -- it's just that I gave up empirical
and "scientific" work about 15 years ago in disgust, and that I do *know*
many similar horrifics done by governments and corporations, but I'm still
damned if I'll create "empirical" evidence to "prove" it. Sadly, I can.

Cheers.

Shyamal Gupta
25D, Selimpore Road, Calcutta 700 031. INDIA
Voice : 91-33-3440643 (O); 4736164(R)
Fax : 91-33-3440643; OR 1-815-371-0443; OR 1-209-821-6191; OR 1-914-501-6424
E-Mail : [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Professional Member: Association for International Business (AIB)
         Visit http://www.aib-world.org