CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Silvia Winowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 09:33:23 -0600
Martin William Smith wrote:

> I think the real reason NATO got involved is because the situation threatened "the
> system".  Chomsky calls it the world order, but by now
> I think it should be called the system.  With the disappearance of the
> USSR, the world has become a single economic system, and anything that
> threatens to disrupt that system will be stopped.  The situation in
> Yugoslavia threatens the system by threatening to spread refugees all
> over Europe, putting stress on the EU economy during a time when there
> are already stresses on the system in Asia and South America.

Martin, I have certainly enjoyed reading your comments.
Could you please give me your opinion on what will be
the outcome of this intervention?

Yugoslavia is a country torn by many ethnic groups and
interests....The entire area is not a very politically stable one.
Apparently the NATO retaliation has only increased the
frequency and severity of the attacks against the Albanians.
Air attacks might destroy certain targets but not the
small military groups that are actually driving the Albaninas out of
their villages. These groups are constantly moving and can
only be confronted by ground troops, which many knowledgeable
people in this area, have said must be done if Nato wants this
action to stop.

Obviously NATO is not too keen on this, will they ultimately
have to enter with ground troops anyway? Also, Yugoslavia has
historical ties with the Ex-Soviet block...How will they ultimately
react to this? In other words, I'm afraid that beyond the unethical
considerations of this intervention, there might be unforseen
ramifications. What is your opinion?
Silvia