C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:38:17 +0100
> Mike and Joyce,
>
> I just found a site for alternative keyboards that might suit
> your needs. The datalux keyboard is the one I saw (if memory
> serves).  I do apologize, because I was confusing the recessed
> well design with another keyboard.  The Datalux keyboard is not
> recessed.
>
> <A HREF="http://www.tggweb.com/disable/onehand.htm">mini
> adaptive keyboard large alternative computer access for people
> with disabi</A>
>
> When you go to the site, you will see "one hand" on the left
> side.  If you click on that, it will take you to a page that
> has a couple of alternatives: Datalux, and a typing system
> called chording, which I am not familiar with, but seems
> interesting.  There is something about DVORAK and voice
> recognition systems somewhere on the site as well.  "Sticky
> keys" is also discussed. This feature allows the typist to
> press one key, then another in sequence (I think it works this
> way) in order to achieve the same results as pressing two or
> more keys simultaneously (e.g., control-alt-delete).
>
> Take care all,
> Betty

I believe DVORAK is simply a re-designed key layout, optimised to
speed up typing (the most common letters being in a convenient
place for typing), as opposed to QWERTY which was originally
designed to slow down typists (from the early days of mechanical
typewriters where hitting two keys too quickly meant the second
got jammed behind the first!!)

It probably doesn't make all that much difference to us 1
fingered typists!!!

Cheers,

--
Deri James