BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:27:50 -0700
You might be interested in what the City of Vancouver did a couple of years
ago with old streets. They removed the asphalt from two streets to reveal
the original granite stones. These were restored and/or replicated and now
form an interesting historic paving area.

>At 03:00 PM 6/10/99, Dennis Enslinger wrote:
>>I am interested in getting additional information on how other
>>communities deal with brick streets.
>
>At 04:33 PM 6/10/99, Lawrence Kestenbaum replied:
>>I have never heard of brick streets being restored by removal of later
>>layers of asphalt.  That would be really exciting, if it is at all feasible.
>
>There isn't any cost involved with bringing the bricks back, at least not
>here in Minneapolis.  Some of our brick streets are returning without the
>help of the city:  the asphalt just crumbles away exposing the brick below
>it...
>
>I think bricks that are partially covered with asphalt are much more
>picturesque, anyway.  And hey, who needs working shocks and struts on the
>car?  O.K., I was wrong, the cost is in the car repairs...
>
>Barbara (still wishing I had the subway to ride)

Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
Owner, Bed Buddies Toys & Gifts
Director, Heritage Society of B.C.   Office Manager, Hallmark Society
[log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.islandnet.com/~helen