Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alan Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:04:48 -0600
* KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL ([log in to unmask]) [991006 07:45]:
* Subject: Re:      Re: [P-F] Perfect Package? Sprouting question:
> >I've been meaning to ask the group about sprouting of seeds.  Sprouts
> >(alfalfa, broccoli, radish, lentil, etc.) used to be a big part of my diet
>

> According to Dr. Andrew Weil in "Natural Health, Natural Medicine," many
> sprouts contain natural toxins .  He says to never eat alfalfa sprouts,
> lentil sprouts, or mung bean sprouts raw.  Alfalfa sprouts contain the
> natural toxin, canavanine, which harms the immune system and should never be
> eaten.

I read an article in the magazine "Natural Health" about
6 months ago where the author was curious about Dr. Weil's
statement.  All Dr. Weil actually knew was that a researcher
had found toxins in the sprouts.

The article author went to the researcher (I don't remember
his name) who said that while alfalfa sprouts did indeed
have toxins, they where no greater than any other plant
food, and was baffled why Dr. Weil reacted the way he did.

--alan