Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:05:46 -0500
Hello Amadeus!

<<

>In the numbers I have, egg is just used as a scaling, not as a "gold
standard".
>Egg protein indeed is much closer to a humans needs than meat is,
>since if you give egg a value of 100, then (red) meat will reach
>91 points in terms of amino acid profile.
>A combination of 2 parts to 1 part of maize to beans also reaches 101
>(just an example).

Then how does human breast milk compare with your reference?
<<

>My facit so far is now:
>1.) healthy kidneys tolerate high protein diets
>2.) high protein diets may cause kidneys to become bigger
>    they seem to adapt to a higher workload
>3.) high protein diets are in *some* way related to kidney stones
>
>Nobody referenced a study relating protein consumption to kidney deseases
>on a greater number of persons, alas.
>
>So for healty people high protein should not be a kidney problem.
>Please don't relate that again to the meat issue.
>One can have a high protein diet on plants OR meats
>(the sunflowers on my desk have more protein then the same weight in meat).
>
>>The answer is very simple -- based on volumes of research. Any person with
>>kidney disease or failure is advised to go on a low protein diet.

My take on the posts regarding kidneys and protein consumption is as
follows:

( by the way, thanks to the person who posted the references and details of
the study mentioned by Todd)

Kidneys are an elimination organ for excess protein (in fact, urine is
actually a temporary holding area for some nutrients if they need to be
re-absorbed).

Seriously : if urine were rich in amino acids (proteins), would members on
this list drink it? Some persons do -- it has a long history of therapeutic
benefits (dating back 5000 years) and many drugs are actually made from
urine -- including cosmetics!!

Large kidneys do not necessarily mean better. Just as excessive refined
carbohydrate consumption causes pancreatic gland enlargement. Kidney may be
adaptive to additional demands by increasing in size ( may be healthy over a
small range?).

I would not equate kidney mass with lean muscle mass as a for bio-marker for
longevity.

The study on rats increasing kidney mass was based on a diet of casein
(bovine protein).

When I had posted a reference earlier on dairy consumption linked to
osteoporosis because of excess protein, I was told the research was not
valid because the proteins were of dairy origin.

Incidentally, I had mentioned that casein is highly carcinogenic.

It would be interesting to know if the rats in the study developed cancer in
addition to large kidneys and what the mortality rate was. ( I believe there
are other studies on rats and other animals linking casein protein to cancer
and pre-mature death.

It would be interesting to contact the authors to see if they support the
conclusions drawn by others on this list.

It would be interesting to know who funded the study.

I normally give references when I have them handy. References on esoteric
research are appreciated.

Kidney stones that are uric acid crystals are logically from excessive
protein. Other kidney stones have different etiology. To cite a study on
kidney stones consisting of oxalates is not relevant.

Mahesh aka Electronicboy