NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:45:28 -0800
Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Cathy and I have a 13 month old
daughter named Amber who is allergic to dairy products.  I have managed to
find a number of web sites that are very helpful, and felt extremely
fortunate to find this list!!  I requested a referral to an allergy
nutrition research center in Vancouver, and will be visiting there
tomorrow, but our doctor has not referred us to an allergist.  I have heard
that testing a child of such a young age is inconclusive and better done
later on, but it would be nice to have that support none-the-less.  I guess
we'll have to get by with the research center.

I am still breastfeeding her and understand that I should also avoid
dairy.  I was wondering why that is.

I do have one question.  Amber's reactions so far to very tiny quantities
of yogurt, ice cream and cheddar cheese have been instant (swelling of the
eyes and lips and an immediate facial rash/hives), but she has shown
absolutely no reaction to processed cheese slices.  Is is okay to give her
these, or should they be avoided anyway?  Is it true that the processing
changes the form of the protein?

Any help will be appreciated.  Looking forward to being part of this list!

Cathy, Steve and Amber