CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Korber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:48:00 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/99 10:08:19 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>In fact, Chomsky's notion that the state needs a lot of power now, but
>might eventually be eliminated, sounds like it is taken right out of the
>Communist Manifesto.

Where does he say this? If you come refer us to the quote?

Actually I have this gov problem myself with reference to the New York State
Labor dept. which doesn't enforce its labor laws in the sweatshops here in
the city. In this case, I wish the government were more forceful, and did
what it says it is supposed to do. Quite a dilema. I'm not quite ready to
seize the factories yet. ;-P

The situation is really bad. For example, a Chinese restaurant workers union
has been locked out from a restaurant for about a year and a half. Every week
they are out there picketing. Their demand? That the Labor dept. enforce its
laws, that the justice dept. collect the back wages they won in a court
settlement.

It isn't happening. It would be good if the government did its job. Instead
the governor attends an award ceremony in Chinatown that honors the owner of
the restaurant.

Enforcing labor laws would help a lot of people in the short run. Enforcing
environmental laws would help a lot of people in the short and long run.
Having the US government respect international law.  And so on....

Organizing on a grassroots level to try and have the government do its job
sounds good, but it is a bit like pushing the rock up the hill in my opinion.
It could be counter productive as well. So much energy yielding so little
might make many people feel hopeless. Activism here has a high turnover as
long as I can remember. I've turned over myself a few times.

Maybe Noam doesn't feel that way. He cites numerous gains in the past century
that are essentially reforms of the present system. He cites many cases that
need immediate attention.  Who knows? Pick your battles wisely. Never give
up. Make your means and methods reflect your ultimate goals. And do try to
enjoy yourself in the process.

john korber