Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:34:12 -0400

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CENTER FOR CELIAC RESEARCH
                MULTI CENTER SEROLOGICAL STUDY
                        UPDATE AS OF JUNE 1, 1999

RESEARCH UPDATE

Currently, the Center for Celiac Research is involved in two critical
areas:

*       Multi-Center Serological Screening Study to determine the
        prevalence of Celiac Disease in the United States; and

*       New Diagnostic Assay to develop a non-invasive diagnostic test
        for Celiac Disease.

1)  SEROLOGIC SCREENING STUDY

We have tested 3,076 samples as part of the Multi-Center Serological
Study for the prevalence of Celiac Disease in the United States.  Our
preliminary findings indicate that 6.8% of first-degree relatives and
4.7% of second-degree relatives of Celiacs test positive for the
disease.  These results are similar to those reported previously in
Europe, suggesting that Celiac Disease is currently under-diagnosed in
the United States.

We are extremely encouraged by these preliminary findings; however, many
more subjects need to be screened to put the study into full operation.

Your financial help is pivotal to accomplish our goals.

2)  NEW DIAGNOSTIC ASSAY

Our scientists have been able to develop a more sensitive, non-invasive,
and specific test for Celiac Disease based on the use of tissue
transglutaminase.  We were able, for the first time, to clone the human
transglutaminase gene.  By using this tool, we have developed a new
diagnostic tool that may eventually allow us to make a definite
diagnosis of Celiac Disease without an intestinal biopsy.

BLOOD SCREENING UPDATE

Blood screenings of first and second-degree relatives have been
conducted in New York,  North Carolina, New Hampshire, California,
Pennsylvania, Washington, Maryland,  Texas, and Rhode Island.

Screenings are scheduled for Billings, Montana June 19th, Louisville,
Kentucky September, 18th and Vermont (to be scheduled in Oct/Nov.)

WEB SITE

Thanks to the sponsorship of Dietary Specialties, we are very excited to
announce that the Center for Celiac Research will have a web site.  The
domain name will be www.celiaccenter.org. and should be on line by June
21st.

FUND-RAISING UPDATE

As of June 1, 1999, the University of Maryland's Center for Celiac
Research has received approximately $340,000 in contributions and
pledges. We thank all of you who have made a contribution or pledge.

The Center was very fortunate to receive three significant
pledges/contributions over the past four months which helped boost our
contribution total by more than $100,000 since our last update.
Although this is a significant increase, we must keep the momentum
going.

For now, we cannot rely on any outside financial assistance.  So please,
help us to help you.  Remember we are not asking you to make a
contribution, but to make an investment in the well being of every
celiac - now and in the future.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

1)  If you have not made a pledge or contribution, please consider
making one at this time.

Please make checks payable to the UM Foundation, Inc. Center for
Celiac Research, Attn:  Pam King, 700 W. Lombard St. Room 206,
Baltimore, MD  21201. These funds are administered by the University of
Maryland Foundation, Inc.

2)  If possible, increase your current pledge or make another gift
at this time.

3)  Discuss the importance of this study with fellow celiacs, relatives,
friends or whoever might be in a position to help.  Ask them to
contribute.

4)  Organize discussions and/or fund-raising efforts with your local
support group.

5)  Help us to identify possible organization, companies, trusts or
foundations that might be in a position to help.  Please contact Pam
King at 410-706-8021 if you have any questions or need any assistance.

6)  Send contributions to the Center for Celiac Research in honor or
in memory of a friend or loved one.

NINTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON CELIAC DISEASE

The Center for Celiac Research, the University of Maryland Program for
Continuing Education, the University of Chicago, and the University of
California, San Diego are pleased to announce joint sponsorship of the
Ninth International Symposium on Celiac Disease. The symposium will be
held August 10-13, 2000 at the Marriott's Hunt Valley Inn, Hunt Valley,
Maryland.

The medical program to be presented will discuss the most advanced
knowledge of the genetic, immunological, and diagnostic aspects of
Celiac Disease. In addition, a panel of international experts will
discuss new frontiers for the treatment and prevention of Celiac
Disease.

Celiacs from around the world will be given the opportunity to compare
the practical aspects of living with Celiac Disease in different
countries and cultures at a full day session.

Registration information and costs will be available in August and will
be posted on the web site.