From:
Mary Burgdorff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 09:20:55 EST

Thanks for all your responses. My question was, does anyone else have both CD
& cardiomyopathy because my 10 year old son does.  Here are the responses I
received:

1. My 11 year old daughter has both CD and cardiomyopathy and was diagnosed
at age 3 with both.  The doctors don't know which came first, or what caused
what, but she is being treated for both and is on 2 types of medication.
Other than that she is just a normal, growing girl.

2. After having my children in mid-late twenties, I was always tired.  After
an EKG and visits with many different doctors, I was diagnosed with
cardiomyopathy due to extreme CD.  I'm doing fine at this time.

3. It stands to reason that your son would have heart damage after a
hemoglobin of 3.9.  Having such a low hemoglobin causes the heart to work
much harder, therefore enlarging it.

4. In reading the Listserv, many Celiacs are being treated with cardiac
symptoms - most having an irregular pulse.  My cardiologist said there's no
connection.  But having seen 150 people on the list respond to having these
symptoms, it's hard not to face the facts.

5. With a hemoglobin of 3.9 it is completely understandable that your son's
heart would enlarge.  The body tries to compensate for the lack of
oxygenation to the tissues by working harder.  That would eventually enlarge
the heart muscle.  There could be other causes for this, but severe anemia
can be the cause.

6. I was anemic on and off for 40 years.  At one time it was so bad I had to
have blood transfusions.  No diagnosis of CD because I seldom had diarrhea.
I do not have anything wrong with my heart.

7. I don't know of a direct relationship between CD And heart problems but my
hemotologist told me anemia can cause heart problems as anemia affects the
amount of oxygen that gets to your organs.  My CD was only uncovered because
of anemia and I don't have heart problems, but he said they could have
developed if my anemia had gone unchecked.