From:
Alessandra Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:56:38 -0500

Thanks to everybody who replied to my posting.

The Pneumovax to which I referred in my posting is actually a vaccine
against the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae which are a common cause
of pneumonia, sinusitis and middle ear infections.

Four people emailed me to tell me that they have had this shot and think
they have benefited from it, getting sick less often. Somebody who
barely survived an attack of idiopathic thrombocytopeni purpura (a
spleen disease where the spleen destroys blood platelets) credits the
vaccine for allowing to get through the crisis. I did receive however an
email from an infectious diseases doctor who is also a CD patient who
said he gives this vaccine to e.g. asthmatics and AIDS patients, but not
to CD people.

A couple of people suggested that vulnerability to infections might be
reduced by being rigorously GF (which I think I am), and by suggesting
Mannatech nutritional products to boost immune defenses.

I will discuss the issue with my gastroenterologist at the next
check-up, and I will post his comments, if interesting.

Alessandra