From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:29:24 EDT

Hi everyone -

Last week I asked if ingesting small amts. of gluten by a non-sensitive
celiac, damages the villa.  The OVERWHELMING response was "of course".  As I
stated in my question, I suspected I knew the answer before I posed the
question.

Several offered suggestions for gf cereals:

Barbara's Fruit Sweetened Corn Flakes
Health Valley Blue Cornflakes
Health Valley Rice Crunch-ems
Brown Rice Crisps (similar to Rice Krispies)
Erewhon's Rice Twice
Natre's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes
New Morning Cocoa Krispies
Kellog's Corn Pops (the person providing me with this info said, and I
quote..."if you can stand the lines" )  I have no idea what that means.

At any rate, I'll stay away from even the smallest amounts of gluten.  Two
people likened eating small amts. of gluten to sun-bathing - the sun
eventually takes it's toll.  Someone else told me the story of Egyptian women
who used arsenic on their skins to lighten it.  Needless to say, many women
died of arsenic poisoning!!!  Still others used the rat poison analogy - VERY
effective.

I'm still VERY tempted about beer though.  Someone said that the Canadian
Celiac Assn. doesn't prohibit beer so I visited their website as suggested.

I couldn't find a way to contact anyone to pose the question.  I'll keep
trying though because for me, it's important.  Too many countries allow
light-colored beer and too many chemists seem to think that the amt. of
gluten in beer after the fermentation process is miniscule.

Many thanks for your prompt and informative replies.

Regards,

Linda in Savannah