From:
Catherine Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:54:34 -0400

Thanks for all the reponses /about 30

I did not intentionally feed my son wheat, it was a horrible mistake.

Some questioned if he truly had celiac.  If it were a wheat allergy, his
blood work would not have shown an off the chart endomysial antibody count.

He never showed symptoms after eating the wheat pasta.It's been almost a
month.

The range of other peoples symptomatic reactions to eating wheat was from 15
min.  to several weeks of eating gluten before reacting.Some could eat
occassional gluten and not have any reaction.

Some refered to the "remission" phase where no symptoms occur for the years
between 6/7 and 20 .  Those that went off the diet payed dearly with
complications such as advanced oestosporosis, damaged colon at age 33.

It was suggested that because I'd kept him on such a strict GF diet that he
didn't react but that repeated ingestion would have likely shown symptoms and
increased risk of stomach cancer.

So I will continue to faithfully provide a gluten free diet.

Thanks,Catherine