Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:26:35 -0700
From:
Bob McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,
Just wanted to share my understanding with you about hyrdogenated fats.

In the process of hydrogenation, hydrogen is added to a molecule.  With
fats, the addition of hydrogen serves the purpose of saturating the
molecule, so that it goes from being a liquid at room temperature to a solid
or semi-solid.  This is how they make margarine, vegetable shortening, etc.
The latest understanding I have is that one  problem with hydrogenation is
that in the process, something called trans fatty acids are formed.  Studies
are showing now that trans fatty acids may indeed be worse for you than fats
that are naturally saturated (i.e. butter, lard, etc.).  I'm sure you can
find lots of specifics on the web.

I would very much like to know if mono and diglycerides are a problem for
celiacs (containing gluten?) for reasons other than the above.  If anyone
knows about this, please let me know.

Thanks

Bob at Ultimate Baking
Great Gluten Free Biscotti,
GF All Purpose Flour Mix and GF Heavenly Chocolate Cake Mix
http://www.ultimatebiscotti.com