From:
K&R STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:59:28 -0400

Hi all,
I'm a recently diagnosed Celiac with a family history of Celiac. My question
is should I have my children tested? I have asked two different doctors and
gotten two different answers. My children are 9 and 5 and both seem to be in
good health, although very slim. I think I have been suffering from Celiac
for about 10 years but only recently been told what it is. My children don't
seem to be suffering from any of the signs or symptoms of Celiac. One doctor
told me to just keep an eye on them and if they ever present problems then
have them tested. The other doctor recommended having them tested now and
getting them on a gf diet as soon as possible if positive. The diet is so
hard for me to adjust to I just can't imagine what it would be like for
children. If  they are Celiac but aren't tested and show no signs will this
hurt them? I don't know what to do. I hate to turn their world up side down
if not necessary. Please respond with any advice or suggestions. I would
love to hear from other parents who have been faced with this same decision.

Thank you, Renee'