Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:11:49 -0500

I have been reading the messages posted on this group for quite a few weeks,
initially in the belief that my physician's threshold diagnosis of CD was
accurate.  Since then all tests done are negative, and I continue to have the
same symptoms that I observe others on this group to be experiencing.  So far
I've had (1) a colonoscopy, (2) blood tests, (3) an XRAY IVP series, (4) a
gastroscopy of the esophagus, stomach, and small intestine, (5) biopsies from
the foregoing gastrosocopy, (6) a barium test for everything between the
duodenum and colon, .... and all have been negative for CD, sprue and several
other things like VB-12, thyroid, giardia.   Earlier I had tried a GF diet for a
ten day period (ending two weeks before the gastroscopy and biopsies), and
during the past week a lactose free diet, and have given up coffee just for good
measure.  Yet the negative results continue as well as the symptoms.  Earlier
today the radiologist (for the barium test) said what many of you have said,
that negatives are often false and tests must often be repeated to obtain
reliable results, possibly positive results.  I only have one test left
scheduled, a cystoscopy for continuing microscopic blood in the urine.  I will
continue to monitor this groups listserve and continue to be observant for
things in my diet that might possibly be correlated with the continuing
symptoms.  The eternal vigilance about your diet that most of you maintain is
awesome and admirable. Yet I continue to search for answers that are hiding from
available diagnostic tools.  I would like to thank you all for the spirit that
comes from your messages.  Bob Ritchie, MA