From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:18:12 -0000
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:11:45   Rick Glazier wrote:
>My sister has a 33.6K Zoom modem. When Zoom replaced
>it once, they called it a Model # INT-V34+33.6
>It says on it Zoom/faxmodem v.341
>The "original receipt" calls it: Model 2805
>Is it "generally" necessary to have a drivers disk
>(floppy or CD-ROM) to properly install this modem in
>Win95a?  I "think" it will run as a "28.8" now
>if I don't do another thing.  I went to the ZOOM
>WEB site, (Zoomtel.com), and found a lot of info,
>none of which was real clear.
>We are not concerned with PROGRAMs that might have
>come free with the modem.
>Her hard drive went, and I have no way of knowing
>what was "there" before. (She shipped the computer
>1500 miles so I could fix it...)
>Best Buys put in the modem, and she has NOTHING
>except a receipt and the Warranty page.
>Thanks in advance for any advise.  Rick Glazier

     Ouch, 1500 miles is alot. Anyways, Win95 is normally pretty forgiving on what drivers you use for the modem, as long as you don't plan to use fancy features (ie. VMail, CID...). Let 95 autodetect it, if it doesn't than go to control panel and select add new hardware, and let it autosearch. Let it finish, and then look at what it detected, if it detected it as a ZOOM 33.6 or 22.8 you are probably fine to go ahead with it. If not, restart but choose to manually install the device, then select the appropriate ZOOM, if it isn't there a generic driver will probably work. You might have to do at this a few times until the modem agrees with the computer. I have a USR sportster 33.6 and win95 has never detected it correctly, I always have to select the model manually. Hope this helped. TTYL

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html