From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:51:38 -0900
Hi Susan,

> >Is this a magazine or a peer-reviewed journal?
> Probably.

I meant is it a magazine *OR* is it a peer-reviewed journal?  As in
*which* one!  They aren't the same thing.  A peer-reviewed journal
must undergo scrutinization by other researchers in the same field.
 A magazine is part of the popular media, with no checks-and-
balances system built in to somewhat ensure the quality of the
data as presented.

In other words, if the article appeared in a peer-reviewed journal,
published by a scientific group or organization, I would have a lot
more faith in the "facts" presented than I would if it were in a
popular media magazine.  When you said the name, I couldn't tell
if it was a magazine (Alive Magazine), a scientific journal (Journal
of the Canadian Health whatever), or a magazine trying to sound
like it was a scientific journal just to obfuscate the issue (which is
actually what I suspected in the first place, so I asked!).

> The writer, who wrote the piece as an editorial, did include some
> references: What Your Doctor Won't Tell You, Sept 1996
Treason's Peace,
> German Dyes and American Dupes, 1947 Sorry that's it.

These don't sound very scientific to me, either.  Sorry, but I'm still
quite skeptical.  And the fact that the piece was an editorial, as
opposed to an actual article, also makes me wary.

> In Canada anyway, the country is pretty well directed by pharmaceutical
> companies. I don't know about the states but the Gulf War pretty well
> relied on these companies for the chemicals needed for chemical warfare.
> So of course there is a big propaganda machine working to convince us that
> aspirin is good for us.

You lost me on that one.  What does the Gulf War have to do with
a propaganda machine that you say has been working since the
1930s?

> It is pretty easy to figure out that everything that is refined is
> dangerous especially drugs. They are poison you know.
> Eating Paleolithically has eliminated my aches and pains. Why are some of
> us so protective of aspirin?  Don't you think that willowbark would be
> more paleo?

I'm glad your aches and pains have been eliminated, but YMMV.
Eating paleolithically has improved, but certainly *not* eliminated
my seasonal asthma and allergies.  Without those poisonous
drugs, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without wheezing several
months of the year, let alone get actual exercise.

I'd say folks who are use/defend aspirin as well as the folks who
say no one should use it are all coming from the same place:
personal experience and personal research.  Bodies are all
different, and they all react differently to stimuli.  Some folks are
even healthy *without* a paleo diet.  :-0

> I must confess I am a little edgy when it comes to drugs.
<snipped story of celiac mom on dilantin>

Like I said, we all come at this from personal experience, no
matter which side of the fence we are on.

> So anyway, that is why I have a biased viewpoint. (hope you don't mind my
> airing the laundry)!

I don't mind!  As long as you don't mind me not falling hook, line,
and sinker for the article/editorial as written.  ;-)  There are "facts"
to back up every viewpoint, statistics to support every option.  The
more we read and discuss, the more information we all have to
make up our own mind.

Lisa Sporleder
Ester, Alaska