AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:24:57 -0600
Tomorrow is a big day in Nigeria...no, a big day in Africa.  For those of
you that arenot aware, the presidential elections take place tomorrow.
Tomorrow may well be the most important day in Nigeria's history since
October 1st 1960(Our Independence).  Even the west that usually turns a
snubbish nose at African events knows the significance of tomorrow.  So much
so that they sent a 50  member delegation(including Retired General Colin
Powell and Former President Jimmy Carter to mention a few) to be in Nigeria
this week to observe this event.  There has been reasonable coverage in the
news media over here which is a nice alternative to Reuters and BBC.
Actually if anybody is interested, the Nigerian Elections are the FRONTPAGE
story in today's Chicago Tribune(which you can get in any grocery store), I
encourage you to read this article(which is also on the web
http://www.ChicagoTribune.com/news/nationworld/article/0,1051,CTT-6028979,00
.html
Even though the story which covers much of the frontpage of the paper is not
all positive(potential topic for discussion on our list), at least it
acknowledges that this is a step in the right direction.
So my Brothers and Sisters, Please help me pray that this goes hitch free
and that we select the right person in Falae or Obasanjo.
I sent this to the AFRICANS in Madison not just tothe Nigerians so that
everybody can join us in our moment.  WE ARE ONE CONTINENT!!!  We just have
lines that were drawn to seperate us.  Take Care everybody.

Phil C. Nwafor
Senior Electrical and Computer Engineering
UW-Madison