From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:21:33 -0700
At 03:31 PM 11/02/1999 , Jim Meagher wrote:
>Tom,
>Most PCs of that era had a keylock to electrically disable the keyboard NOT
>lock the case.  If the PC is a true Compaq, there would be a prominent label
>on the front of the box, since you didn't mention it, I would assume that
>the monitor and keyboard did not come with the unit originally.

Jim is right about the case probably not locked together with the key lock.

Typically, those key locks are only to shut down power to the motherboard
to keep someone from accessing the system when you are not about...
though they are easy to disable if you remove the cover.  Just unplug the
wires from the keylock to the motherboard.

I am willing to bet the case will come apart if you just investigate it a bit
more.  It probably is not a design you have seen before.  The very large
server tower cases often have a pry off cap on them and then hidden
screws that remove each side panel independently.

If we are wrong and someone actually built a case at one point that is
locked together by a key, you probably can take it to a local locksmith
and have the lock opened by him for only a few dollars...

   Bob Wright

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org