From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:20:34 -0600
At 09:57 AM 7/1/99 , chan fan chong wrote:
>Hello lists,
>I am intend to set up small LAN in the office with 5 - 10 PC. I want the
>entire network can logon to the internet thru only one ISP account( a
>dedicate internet line). I do not know which/what type of 'internet
>server' to use.
>I hope to listen to your comments/suggestions before I make the
>decision.

There are a great many options for this.  It depends on the intended
use of your Internet server machine.  If it is a stand alone server, you
can use Linux on the machine.

If you intend to also use the Internet server machine as an Office client,
saving on the number of computers, you can use either Windows98SE
or a proxy server software on the Internet server.

Windows98SE, (Second Edition), has a built in proxy server called
"Internet Connection Sharing."  It is capable of creating the proxy
server for your network.  I should mention that It is not as secure as
a real proxy server.

You can use software packages such as Wingate or SyGate as a proxy
server.  I use Wingate v3.02 here with six client machines connected.
It works seamlessly in the background on one of the client machines
with no drag on system resources.   The Wingate machine also runs
VPOP3 Email server software for our Intranet.  The two programs take
little or no resources and provides my private network with easy Internet and
email access.

Windows98SE:   http://www.microsoft.com
Wingate:             http://www.wingate.com
SyGate:              http://www.sygate.com/