From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:01:21 -0600
From: Jerry W Hughes :Subject: [PCBUILD] Troblem with network printer

> Hello Everyone
>
> I set up a peer to peer network between my two PCs and I was trying to
> share my printer.  I can see the printer and I'm able to add the printer
> to the other PC but it won't
> allow me to print to it. says I have a communication problem, but all
> connections are OK?  I have the file and printer sharing setting turn on.
> The
> File sharing part works fine.  I even swap the printer between PCs and
> still had
> the problem.
>
> Both PCs has Win98
> Using D-Link 538 NIC cards
> HP 710c
> Using ECP setting in BIOS for printer port
>

> Jerry Hughes

Jerry,

Have you installed a printer driver for the printer on the computer that
does not have the printer installed?  If not, you can install the printer
driver by opening up your Network Neighborhood, navigating to the printer
that you have shared, right click and select install.  Select the printer
from the add printer wizard or use the driver that came with printer.  You
must then change the printer port to reflect the Universal Naming Convention
(UNC):  \\computername\sharename.
Go to Start, Settings, Printers, select your printer that you want to share
and right click, select "Properties", then navigate to the place where the
printer port is located.  On my Epson printer it is the "details" tab.
Select "Add Port", select the "Network" radio button and then you can write
in the UNC or browse to the printer.  Usually by default the printer is
assigned LPT 1 when you install drivers on a remote computer, since there is
no printer located on the computer you would receive a communication error.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html