From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:50:17 -0400
>BTW, in an attempt to expand my food repetoire, I tried beef last night for
>the first time in over 10 years. It's going to take some getting used to...

yeah, but once you do, you won't want anything else.  you know that
commercial?  "Beef.  It's what's for dinner."  my family likes to chant,
when they see me having cold roast at 6AM:  "Beef.  It's what's for breakfast."

what to eat?  breakfast is usually something left over from supper the night
before.  i'm not one for cooking in the AM.  lunch is usually also leftovers.
(i live in a house full of vegetarians, that's why i always have LOTS of
leftovers)

in the summer, i like to have a garden salad for lunch.  once the weather
turns cooler, i like a big pot of vegetable soup, this lasts for a few days.
for snacks i have hard boiled eggs or fruit or trail mix.

supper is almost always beef -- steak, if there's any on sale, or chuck
roast or whatever cut's cheapest.  i do chicken or turkey once/twice a week.
chicken i make in the crockpot (it's easy, i'm lazy), or, if i've had bacon,
i like to save the bacon grease and use it to fry chicken.

last week,i had the best supper.  i fried chicken legs in the bacon grease,
and also cooked some apple slices in the grease at the same time.
delicious.  and i made some collard greens (like this: chop up an onion and
about a 1/4 pound bacon.  fry until the onion gets soft and the bacon begins
to brown, maybe 5 minutes.  meanwhile, wash and cut up the collards, like a
1/2 pound bunch.  put into the pan with 1/3-1/2 cup water - or stock if you
have any.  cover and cook 20-25 minutes.)  then for dessert i had peaches,
peeled and sliced, covered with chopped walnuts and drizzled with honey,
cooked for awhile.

JoAnn.