From:
Diana Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:03:50 EDT
Brian, get a grip. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there is
cruelty in the world. Some of it is necessary. Would you rather the wolves
starve?

I have been lurking on this list for some time. After I'm done with this
post, some of you may wish I had stayed in lurk mode!

I get really burned up by the anthromorphistic tendencies of the animal
rights activists. Animals are not humans. They were never meant to be, and
they never will be. That is not to say that they do not have their own
intrinsic value; of course they do. But they are not equal to humans.

I wonder about the animal rights advocates who wear Nikes and other stylish
clothes made in sweat shops in underdeveloped countries. I do not understand
anyone who is values animals more than they do human beings. I feel that
their sentiments are misplaced.

That is not to say that I condone cruelty to animals, or blatant misuse of
them. I do not wear animals furs or hides, with the exception of whatever
cowhide is in my shoes. I do not believe in animals testing for cosmetic
products. I do, however, believe in responsible animal testing for medical
procedures or medicines themselves. No human will die if they can't get
lipstick. Many would be dead, or will die in the future, if medical animal
testing is curtailed. I don't hunt, although I support the rights of hunters
who actually eat what they kill.

Some time ago I saw an article about research concerning the biochemical
reaction of plants to damage. (I wish I could remember where.) In it, one of
the researchers said that broccoli "screamed" when cut. Now we're not
supposed to eat plants either?

I guess that if we were truly compassionate, we would stop eating both meats
and plants and slowly wither away.

Give me a break.

Diana