From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:51:10 +0200
Todd Moody wrote:
>I wrote:
>> Eating protein as fuel (giving glucose)

>>still needs insulin to permit
>> *usage* of that glucose as fuel or for

>>anabolisms.

>No question about that, at least as far as

>anabolism is
>concerned.  I'm not sure that insulin is

>needed for usage of
>glucose as fuel, but in any case, according

>to the Eades protein
>causes an insulin response that is about 40%

>that of a comparable
>amount of carbs.
Yes, insulin is necessary for all type of

tissues
to be "allowed" to use glucose - except for
brain and for blood cells, for which glucose
is the mandatory food.

Each meal will result in an insulin "spike"
showing the effort of the body to bring down
glucose to a normal level *within a few

hours*.
The unfortunate thing with "normal" western

food is,
that it contains such easyly digested sugars
(pure sugar, white flour) that an enormous
insulin spike is necessary to clear that.
This can (and does after some years) cause an
"ill" insulin spike which causes hopyglykemia
(to few sugar) some time after a meal.
You certainly know too people which are
craving after a cake at 3pm :-)
for that reason.

>....Barry Sears
>... protein recommendations (high, by your

>standards)
>are calculated to provide a balance between

>glucagon and insulin
>throughout the day, not just at night.
Natural foods (meat, vegetables) are digested
more slowly- and therefore helpful in
leaving that vivious circle of insulin
if that's still possible (diabetes...).

Proteins are converted slowly to glucose
and seem to be Sears' method of easing
the insulin/glukagon work.
Replacing carbs _and_ fuel proteins with fats
is annother effective way of relieving the
carbohydrate metabolism towards the essential
(essential are about 180g glucose per day for
brain and blood cells of a 70kg man).

Fatty seeds (nuts, flax) work similar, but
normal whole grains (take buckwheat for ex.)
though high in carbohydrate and low in fats
will be digested slow enough to prevent
inadequate (high or low) sugar levels,
through the whole day.
At last there are cultures (Hunza or normal
european rural population 200 years ago) which
live almost 90% on carbohydrates (whole

grains) as fuel and healthy, without diabetes.

Enough fatty animals are found only in polar

regions (Inuit) and in ice age
glaciation winters
- or techno-agro pig factories.
As valuable as fats are, i prefer flax oil and
olive oil over pig-fat (bacon).
It's IMO more paleo (what eat the pigs....)
and has a better fat composition.

regards

Amadeus

If you want to take the time and effort...
I find the whole carbohydrade mechanism
and fuels-story very
nicely explained in the site already

mentioned.