From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 22:39:00 -0600
Ken Stuart wrote:

> It's simply somewhat less carbs than the Zone, however in the Zone books, the
> only disadvantage of eating less carbs than the Zone, but more than a ketogenic
> diet would be hunger.
>
> And I find that nothing kills hunger better than a little fat, such as nuts.

I tried the Zone in 1998, but it had too many carbs for me: I was constantly
hungry, and after two months broke loose and starting eating chocolate like
crazy.  Even after 5 months of this "light paleo" diet, a few strawberries in the
morning are enough to get my insulin up and my hunger up, making it very hard to
get through the rest of the day without overeating.  I never eat fruit until night.
Nuts, with the fiber offsetting the carbs, do not cause this effect in me.

This diet puts me in mild ketosis, up to occasional moderate.  I use ketostix,
and can also tell by a funny taste in my throat when my ketones are up.
I drink at least 2 quarts of water a day in addition to a few cups of various
kinds of tea.  When the ketones are up, I drink an extra few cups of water
and wash it out.  This keeps the ketosis working for me, instead of against me.

Also, as Ken mentioned,  I am not highly active physically.  I've had bad
arthritis of my knees for more than 10 years.  It's been better in the last few
months, and I'm building up my endurance for walking and gardening, but
I Never go out running for hours.  I don't know how I'd need to
change my diet to support a lot of physical activity.  I'd be anxious about adding
much more carb, because I don't want to kick off the blood sugar problems again.
What a joy never to have blood sugar crashes any more!

Lynnet