Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:52:46 -0500
Binnie Betten wrote:

> >Yikes, my hair is falling out. Not in clumps, but kind of like when you are
> >in chemotherapy.
> >
> >The only thing I can think is we had work done in the kitchen where, it
> >turns out, they used a lot of toxic chemicals.
> >
> >Could that do this? Or is it a nutritional deficiency of some kind?
>
> I noticed that I was losing a lot more hair than usual about 9 months after
> starting NeanderThin. After two months of increased hair loss with no sign
> of slowing down, I decided to start taking a mutliple vitamin. After
> another 3 months the hair loss stopped. I am still taking the vitamin just
> as an insurance policy. I should also tell you that I had steadly been
> losing weight, and I understand that hormones can be released from
> metabolized fat stores which might cause this response.

Please don't take any of this as an advice on what to do - it's just an observation.

I've had an opposite experience with hair falling out. Started soon after I turned
20 (genetic). By the time I was 30 I was mostly bold on the top. About 2.5 - 3 years
ago I started low carbing. The hair fallout slowed down, and then even seemed to
reverse a bit, but not much. I was already taking lots of supplements by then.
All the usual vitamins/minerals/essential fats, etc. I was on a very strict low
carb diet (still am to a large degree) - 15gm per day, 25 or so when cheating.
Recently I started taking saw palmetto extract. Saw an almost immediate burst
of hair regrowth. Then it slowed down to a point that I thought it stopped
regrowing. But now I see that slowly, but steadily it is coming back.

Another thought that occurred to me - low carb diets suppress active thyroid hormone
levels. This does not seem to affect people in negative ways, but it definitely has
some effect (temperature drop, for example). It's possible that hair is one of those
things affected (hypothyroidism does cause hair loss). Just keep in mind that in the
experience of other friends of mine who low carb this has not been a problem, on the
contrary, just as with me, the hair started to regrow.

Ilya