From:
"Beckwith, Gary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:16:44 -0500
Is anybody concerned about the problem with this year 2000 computer bug.  A
lot of people (including programmers and electric industry people) are
saying that there could be power outages, not just for a couple of hours,
but maybe days, or even weeks, because of all these embedded chips within
the system.  The same thing could happen with other utilities, like the gas
companies.  I'm thinking of what would happen to our food supply if
something like that happened.  It wouldn't take long before there was a food
shortage.  No electricity to refrigerate meat, no gas to cook it.  And since
the type of diet we subsist on is so dependent on modern technology, how
would we manage?  It might be different if I lived somewhere where I could
go hunting for food, but I don't (New York City).   I'd go hunting in
Central Park, but unfortunately the only wild animals there are the human
kind.  My plan to deal with this is to build up enough food (and water) in
the house to last at least a month to 2 months by the time 1/1/00 rolls
around.  I'd like to hear from people who have experience with both canning
and dehydrating of food, especially meat.  Which process do you think would
be better for a project like this?  Thanks.

Gary

P.S. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd rather be prepared, just in case.