Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:43:56 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 10:10:30 -0400, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> >> I'd consider such large protein amounts as not ideal on the long run
> >> because of acidification and kidney strain.
> >Are you talking about strictly meat or all of the animal (which would be
> >consumed by the primitive h/g)?
> 1 kg of meat is  210 grams of pure protein (medium fat cattle).
> Our (german) official recommendation is 55g for a 70 kg young male.
> Would you really assume a 4-time as high protein *need*?
I was referring to ground beef, which is about 70gm protein/lb for
regular stuff, 75gm protein/lb for lean variety (this is approximate
as what's regular and what's lean varies). As far as official
governmental recomendations for consumption of a particular nutriet,
well I give it about as much weight as a recomendation for 60mg
of vitamin C per day (which is to say 'not much'). Thanks to the
US FDA we have the food piramid, which is an example of really bad
nutrition. So, you might ask, where do I get my numbers from?
Various books, articles, newsgroups, especially those that deal
with sports nutrition. Those tend to be more practical out of
necessity - any author that recommends lower than needed amounts
of protein to, say bodybuilders or weightlifters, will be ignored
rather quickly.

> Then, most people on the world,
> even in USA and Europe, would have a severe protein *lack*.
Protein need varies greatly by size, body composition, and
physical activity. I don't have detailed numbers for general
population matching those vs. protein intake, so can't say
how lacking in protein people are.

> *If* you don't assume the your needs so high, then it seems like
> that a big part of the
> protein is eather left unused/undigested
> or used for burning as an energy supply.
I vary my protein intake from day to day, depending on whether I
work out or not, etc. I also tend to err on the overeating side, since
I don't have any kidney problems and am not aware of any reason not
to overeat a little.

> I can't see a sense in consuming excess amounts of unsued protein
> just for the purpose of getting enough of vitamin b1 or calories.
That's not why I eat extra protein. I get my B's from food, plus
I supplement with a wide range of vitamins.

> There are better supplies (fat or seeds for example).
I eat plenty of those too.

> BTW I have read that our digestion system can't handle more than
> 50 to 60 grams of protein in *a single meal*, anyway.
This is completely incorrect as I have eaten much more than that
myself. Though, whoever made that statement may have meant something
like 'can't handle efficiently' or some such. In that they may be
correct.

Ilya