NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wendy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:08:33 -0800
A week ago, I took a routine glucose tolerance test for my pregnancy.
The test consists of drinking a bottle of "glucose tolerance test
beverage" within 5 minutes then blood is drawn 1 hr later and tested.

I got really ill from the beverage.  Within 2 hours, I had bad stomach
cramps, dry heaves, dry mouth, eventually diarrhea.  The worse was over
in 4 hrs but it didn't completely clear up until 24 hrs later.  None of
these were in the list of common adverse reactions.

From the bottle:  Active ingredients:  5.0g glucose per fl oz. (There's
10 oz total).  Contains:  carbonated water, dextrose (d-glucose;
source:corn), natural flavoring, citric acid, sodium benzoate.

I've been lactose intolerant for about 3 years with no other known food
intolerances/allergies.  The ingredients list seems benign but I do not
recall a time when I've had symptoms so intense.

Can anyone on the list provide insight as to whether anything in the
ingredients list could have caused my illness?  What about unlisted
ingredients?  I know lactose is commonly used (unlisted) in pills for
bulk but that shouldn't apply to beverages, right?  Something unrelated
like food poisoning or somekind of 24 hour bug could have caused it but
in my opinion, it's not likely.

My doctor's office left me a message to call back and I'm guessing I'd
have to take another glucose test... :(

Thanks in advance,
Wendy