NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 11:45:06 -0500
Not a simple answer.

If if says "Kosher Pareve" (and not just lactose-free), then it's free of
virtually all milk products (with a very tiny possibility of minute
contamination).

My guess is that you wouldn't like a Kosher for Passover cake.

Kosher for Passover means that it is not made with any leavening, and is
made in a special way such that the flour is not able to rise. This derives
from the tradition of eating only unleavened foods during the 8 days of
Passover.

To get around this restriction for cakes, either they are made without
flour or, more likely, they are made with lots of egg whites to give the
cake the structure of a leavened cake without the leavening.

You can contact Stop & Shop to find out whether they provide cakes that are
Pareve, which means that they contain no milk or meat products.

Our experience with Stop & Shop baked goods has been mixed. I'd be somewhat
concerned about their ability to keep their baked goods dairy-free.

I suggest that you contact Bread & Circus and ask what kind of dairy free
or vegan cakes they can provide. If nuts and soy are not a problem, they
make a vegan chocolate cake to die for.

G'Luck

Mark