NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:12:46 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 4:56 PM
Subject: Allergic toddler/New to list

>Hello,
>
>I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Cathy and I have a 13 month old
>daughter named Amber who is allergic to dairy products.  I have managed to
>find a number of web sites that are very helpful, and felt extremely
>fortunate to find this list!!  I requested a referral to an allergy
>nutrition research center in Vancouver, and will be visiting there
>tomorrow, but our doctor has not referred us to an allergist.  I have heard
>that testing a child of such a young age is inconclusive and better done
>later on, but it would be nice to have that support none-the-less.  I guess
>we'll have to get by with the research center.
>
>I am still breastfeeding her and understand that I should also avoid
>dairy.  I was wondering why that is.
>
>I do have one question.  Amber's reactions so far to very tiny quantities
>of yogurt, ice cream and cheddar cheese have been instant (swelling of the
>eyes and lips and an immediate facial rash/hives), but she has shown
>absolutely no reaction to processed cheese slices.  Is is okay to give her
>these, or should they be avoided anyway?  Is it true that the processing
>changes the form of the protein?
>
>Any help will be appreciated.  Looking forward to being part of this list!
>
>Cathy, Steve and Amber

Dear Cathy,

Just a note a say that you have my sympathy.  Your daughter is very
fortunate, however, that you have discovered this allergy so soon in her
life.  I have suffered with this all my life (I'm 57) and didn't know what
was causing my illnesses until I got desparate (after seeeing MANY doctors)
and took it upon myself to find out what was wrong.  Finally, I begged an
allergist to test me for food allergies.  (Tests showed allergies to eggs,
dairy, soy, yeast and wheat.  Think I have celiac disease.) Even though I
know I am allergic to cow's milk, I am having a very difficult time avoiding
it.  A great lifesaver for me has been goat's milk.  I even found some in
cans, condensed, in a store about 2 hrs. away, last night.  I really should
have put 2 and 2 together, though, because there's lots of milk allergy on
my dad's side of the family.  My grandfather was called a hypochondriac
because he complained with his problems.  He finally found that goat's milk
was a great substitute. That was 50 years ago.  Of course, this may not work
for Amber.

You're not alone, for sure!  Reading labels and sticking to plain, natural
foods has been my salvation. Oh, be careful of the word "caseinate".

Sincerely, Ginger