NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:34:19 -0800
I have several cookie recipes that call for cream cheese (kiffles,
rugala).  I have no problem subbing margerine for the butter, but what
about the cream cheese?  I picked up a tub of Tofutti Better than Cream
Cheese, but haven't opened it yet.  Has anyone tried baking with it?  Is
it too much like whipped cream cheese?  It feels pretty solid through the
plastic wrapper.  Any comments on the taste?  I like their sour cream
substititute, so I'm hoping this tastes OK.  (In fact I took dip made
with it to a party and mine was finished off before the one with real
sour cream!)

Any comments on when NOT to use the Energy Foods egg replacer?  The box
says it's hit or miss on whether it will work correctly, I was just
wondering if anyone has found a pattern.  I can use real eggs in any
cookies with nuts or chocolate, it's just the ones for my daughter that I
try to avoid them.  She's not terribly sensitive, but if we avid them we
can cheat on other things :-)

Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]